Update: 22 Sep 2018 – added link to my post : Money Creation Process and the Federal Reserve
Update: 17 Sep 2018 – added link to my new RBE post: How will a RBE Work? What will it look like?
Update: 8 April 2018 – added link to my new RBE post: Productivity and Motivation in a Resource Based Economy?
Updated: 30 Nov 2017 – added graphic for Mad Max vs Star Trek
I have spent over a decade reading, writing, thinking, and researching why our world is sooooo messed up and what we can do to try it fix it. I have studied such topics as:
- America: the Constitution, Revolutionary War history, our Founding Fathers
- Religion: Christian theology, Christian history, religious history, Pagan theology, religious history, divine feminine theology, philosophy, mystery cults
- Sexuality: sexuality, monogamy, polygamy, homosexuality, prostitution, polyamory
- Sciences: evolutionary psychology, evolutionary biology, anthropology, liguistics
- Technology: advancing technology, sustainable technology, alternative energy
- Politics: constitutional law Second Amendment issues, poverty, minimum wage, electoral reform, problems with the 2 party system, money in politics
… and so much more. You can see this in much of my blog posts.
As a part of this process I have come up with ideas that others have as well:
- International Fixed Calendar
- converting to the 24 hour time and the metric system; having a world standard decimal time
- religious humanism, evolutionary creationism,
- progressive taxation, public funding of elections
… and many other things in my education and journey.
The Final Problem
However, the most important conclusion I have come to in the last few years is that our economic/monetary system is that the prime culprit of all of the problems that humanity faces today, although I could not wrap my head around the totality of the idea or the magnitude of it. Below are a few of the facts that has led me to this conclusion:
Features of Capitalism
Here is a small list for you to consider. These are the features of Capitalism throughout the world and many of these issues are inherent to our monetary creation process. See my post Money Creation Process and the Federal Reserve for more information on this topic specifically. These are all features of the system and NOT bugs:
- recession and inflation
- greed, corruption, and exploitation
- pollution and destruction of the ecology
- income inequality
- planned obsolescence and waste
- war and violence
- crime, poverty, homelessness
- systemic ‘isms (racism, sexism, nationalism, patriotism, etc)
This is a great list, right?
Below I will give you a small set of examples to show my point.
Poverty and homelessness
We live in a country where we:
- throw away enough food to feed 3 times our population
- have enough housing for 3 times our population
- are the richest country in the world
and yet we have:
- the second highest Child Poverty Rate
- and over 600,000 homeless people
…which shows, in short, that we have enough resources and money, so homelessness and poverty should not be a thing in America.
Profit Over Society and Advancement
We live in a country where:
- the works of the brilliant Nicola Tesla are buried
- the Hemp Car (made of hemp and powered by a hemp based bio fuel) which was created by Henry Ford was buried by the oil companies and other industries
- alternative energy technologies are railed against and thwarted politically
- other patents and ideas are purchased and buried so that no one can use them
… because such technological inventions and advancements threatened the profits of big businesses.
Profit before the environment or people. Profit no matter what the cost. That is the motto for Capitalism and our monetary system. There are so many more examples of abuses caused by Capitalism, but that is enough for now to give you a picture.
Capitalism’s Systemic Corporate Corruption
Now, with this discussion I am going to assume a few things just to give Capitalism’s advocate’s the benefit of the doubt. Let’s assume that everything in my posts regarding the Two Party System, Electoral Reform, and the 28th and 29th Amendments are enacted, and also that laws are passed so that:
- the Maximum Income Disparity is set from the horrific 347 times which we have now down to 10 times like Japan
- progressive taxation is implemented such that the Marginal Rate is set to 90%.
- Hell, lets even throw in Universal Basic Income just to really make this nation great again.
This all is an amazing situation, I mean like a really dreamlike situation for the people as far as capitalism is concerned.
With that being assumed, it honestly does not matter what reforms we enact, it will always only be temporary. Republicans and Corporations will always work towards undermining and destroying whatever reforms are enacted because they worship greed, power, and the cancer of the “Free” Market which is anything but free. A feature of the free market is income disparity. With any level of income disparity there are health issues due to biophychosocial issues. Capitalism also has recessions and bankruptcies inherent due to there not being enough money to pay back the interest in the monetary system due. Why is this you ask? Because of the way the Federal Reserve, which is private corporation, works to add money into the economy. And, of course, our favorite friend – income disparity.
The list of corporate corruption is systemic and will always fester itself back in. It will never be a matter of “if” it does, it is a matter of “when“. All of the reforms in the world can and will be undone as we all very well know. It is a matter of time and then we will repeat the cycle just like we did with the Great Depression.
Some examples to give you an idea of the inevitability of the undoing of any progress made:
- The Glass-Steagal Act, which was passed following the Great Depression, to prevent that horror from ever happening again – well that was undone 60 years later due bank lobbying during the Clinton administration, and the result of that was the 2008 Market Crash.
- In 1973 Nixon allowed the Health Care industry to be for profit. Prior to that it was a non-profit industry.
- Ronald Reagan overturned the Fairness in Reporting Act which enforced fair and balanced news reporting
- The Consumer Financial Protection Organization thingy which was set up by Elizabeth Warren a few years ago was recently gutted or dismantled by the Trump administration.
- There is also the fact that the CDC has been prevented from researching gun violence for over a decade due to powerful lobbying by the NRA.
- Trump undoing many of the national parks and environmental protections
Even with the Max Income Disparity Ratio @ 10 and Progressive Taxation implemented with Marginal Rate set at an amazing 90% the corporations and the rich will always have more money than the rest of us and will always be able to afford people to lobby our representatives in whatever form they can manage. We, the middle class, do not have the time or money to do as such since we have to get the bills paid. It is not a matter of if they will get their way, it is a matter of when. And then, we have the sad fact that conservatives vote religiously and liberals do not. So, eventually Republicans and Corporations will win again and get what they want with the rest of us paying for it. It is just a matter of time. To think otherwise is naive.
The Final Answer
A definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. We cannot ever expect to solve the issues that are visceral and inherent to the archaic Capitalist system using Capitalism. Why should we work so hard to control a system whose rules are predetermined to have negative and deadly outcomes when other far superior options are available?
We change our technology when it becomes outmoded and so we should also change our social and economic systems when they have far outlived their usefulness. It is far beyond time especially with 18 million people dying each year due to the structural violence inherent in Capitalism. Can we honestly afford that price in the blood of the innocent in order to maintain the cancer of Capitalism? Is keeping this broken system that important?
The Domestication of the Velociraptor (Commentary on Capitalism)
Your tribe has the option of continuing to unsuccessfully domesticate wild velociraptors or to try to domesticate those wolves that have been coming close to your tribal lands, eating from your garbage, and on occasion eating from your hands.
For thousands of years your tribe has been unsuccessfully trying to domesticate wild velociraptors . You capture them, cage them, and train them up. They act right for a little while, or at least you think they do, but you still see them look at you and your family like they are its next lunch. For a while they even perform as you would like: guarding your homes and flocks, allowing you to pet them, playing with your children, pulling your plows.
Eventually, it acts out tearing off you arm or clawing you. Your people capture and then retrain it. Then it eats your dog. You repeat the retraining process. Then it escapes eats most of the family next door. With a new color of harness you retrain it again with tremendous cries of support and religious services dedicated to it and its amazing potential, because this is how we have lived for thousands of years and this is what is right. You even set the raptors upon the wolves who come near and eat from your hand.
Now the raptor is roaming throughout the streets of your tribe eating whoever and whatever it wishes. Your people live in fear while espousing the wonderful traits of velociraptors: strong legs, powerful jaws, sharp claws, great hunter… even while its fangs are disgorging blood from your spouse’s neck. Your tribal members cry out “Velociraptors are amazing! In fact they already are domesticated, but maybe we need a new harness to make sure this time.”.
A tribal member cries out “Look at those tribes over there. They have wolves. They are being successfully domesticated.” Your tribe angrily rages “We already have the superior domesticated velociraptors which eats wolves! How could you even suggest? Those tribes are the enemy. They use… wolves. You are a traitor. You are not a member of our tribe.” The member points to the trail of blood left by your spouse’s lifeless body as it was dragged out by the velociraptor. You say ‘It is my spouse’s fault for not petting the raptor properly.” as you think ‘The raptor just needs a new harness of a different color.’
You go to the mass grave where your spouse and many of your neighbors are buried as the “domesticated” raptor fed upon their unsuspecting bodies as it was meant to do. Excitedly you say. ‘Yes, a harness of a different color is the answer!”
Resource Based Economy (RBE)
We need to evolve beyond Capitalism and use the far superior system which I shall talk about below which prevents all of the issues of Capitalism and utilizes the benefits of technological advancements. The following two movements which have come into my research can explain and provide examples much better than I can. These have defined the problem and the solution for me. My mind is blown!
Both movements state that Capitalism, which is based on scarcity and money, causes pretty much all of our global problems and their answer to this is a Resource Based Economy (RBE).
TVP: Jacque Fresco has been lecturing about societal issues and the many problems with our economic system for over 50 years. As an inventor and all around brilliant man, he has also been involved with designing the future world based on a Resource Based Economy. The manifestation of his works is what is called The Venus Project. I have known about The Venus Project for a few years now, but have not delved into it too deeply until the last few months. Once I started reading into it I read 3 of his books and the TVP website, and have also started to volunteer for them.
TZM: The Zeitgeist Movement, which was started by Peter Joseph in 2007, I have heard of over the last few years, but did not really know anything about it until the last few months while educating myself on The Venus Project.
During the process of reading about The Venus Project I found out that there was a powerful relationship between these two movements: they both talk about and advocate the same things – Capitalism is the problem and a Resource Based Economy is the answer.
As a matter of fact, this last week I have been on vacation and have watched all 3 TZM documentaries and have read his new book, ‘The New Human Rights Movement‘, and that book gave me the clear answer as to why Capitalism and money is the problem and why a Resource Based Economy is the answer. Peter Joseph’s book does that all with studies, facts, experts, end notes, glossary, and so on. Hell, the book is really worth it just for the appendix on Sustainable Energy facts. Please, seriously, read The New Human Rights Movement by Peter Joseph. This is the first book I bought for my dad who is a moderate conservative and a banker and that is how important I think this book is.
The Suggested Research Process
For those who really want to research this, here is the process I recommend for delving into it: Start with the passive process through watching the documentaries because they are something you can just watch and absorb, and will introduce you to the topics with visuals. Then you can delve into a more active process through reading. Start with the Zeitgeist Movement first since they explain things more cleanly, then go into The Venus Project which has amazing visuals for a future with a Resources Based Economy.
Honestly, if you have to choose only one thing to do, then please read ‘The New Human Rights Movement‘. It will radically change the way you think about things. It has for me. Then, please share this post and share the book. Even if you think that this will not come to pass, everyone needs to know that there are other possibilities. The more that people are pissed off, the more change is possible. People cannot be pissed nor advocate for a change if they do not know about it. Share it. Educate the world.
- The Zeitgeist Movement
- Documentaries: Here is a Youtube playlist I put together for these: TZM Documentaries.
- The Venus Project
- Documentaries – Here is a Youtube playlist I put together for these: TVP Documentaries.
- Books and Reading
If you have any questions about any of this then please let me know. I am here to help.
Hungry for More
Their social networking sites such as Facebook, YouTube, and Twitter and their many related websites and resources are other ways to expand your knowledge if you are hungry for more:
- RBE Concepts on YouTube
- What is the Venus Project?
- Productivity and Motivation in a Resource Based Economy? (my post)
- How will a RBE Work? What will it look like? (my post)
The Zeitgeist Movement
The Venus Project
- YouTube Channels
- Other Social Media
- Books and other Media