This week on Tuesday and Wednesday we had the Supreme Court final hearings on California’s Proposition 8 and the Defense of Marriage of Act (DOMA), page respectively. These are the final hearings prior to the Supreme Court’s final decision which should be given sometime near June (possibly unless they dismiss the cases due to lack of standing). After that, the Supreme Court’s decision will be up for appeal by the affected parties.
Prop 8: I am fully expecting that the Court will strike down Prop 8 in a narrow way and that it this will likely be appealed, but I am, thankfully, losing faith in the possibility of the appeal by the National Organization of Marriage’s since their funding seems to be drying up. We can only hope that their biggoted nut-jobbery can come to a screaming and embarrassing halt by a Supreme Court slap-down.
DOMA: I fully expect that this will also get struck down, but, after listening to the judges questioning I cannot help but wonder that they may be thinking of a slightly larger scope decision. We can only hope.
If you have not read or listened to the transcripts please do:
- Prop. 8 arguments: Audio and transcript from U.S. Supreme Court (audio – 1 hr & 20 min)
- DOMA arguments: Audio and transcript from the Supreme Court (audio – 1 hr & 1 min – 1 hr & 55 min)
- see articles on Prop 8 @ Equality on Trial
- see articles on DOMA @ Equality on Trial
- please see my other writings in the tags and categories for this article
- also see my post: Post Facto Repeals Bother Me
- also see my post: Gay Marriage